In the business of bone donation, old hips are giving new life to people needing reconstructive surgery. If the patient ticks the bone donation box, part of the hip is taken away to be processed and turned into bone grafts. Sharon Bryce from the Australian Tissue Donation Network said the majority of people are not aware of bone donation. The surgeons prefer this tissue because it replicates the natural healing properties of the patient’s own bone, and efficiently it remodels into the patient’s own bone over a six to 12-month period.
A brave woman who was called the ‘Hunchback of Notre Dame’ because of her severely curved spine has been presented an award by Professor Stephen Hawking for her inspiring self-portrait. Rebecca Dann, 22, suffers from a condition called Kyphoscollosis, an abnormal curvation of the spine. She was first diagnosed with the condition when she was a child and at worst her badly twisted spine left her unable to walk unaided. For years the pretty photography student grew her hair and hid her body behind baggy clothes in a bid to hide her disability and be seen as “normal”.
A new Video-game-assisted physiotherapeutic scoliosis-specific exercises called the Schroth Method for idiopathic scoliosis: case series and introduction of a new tool to increase motivation and precision of exercise performance” helps treat scoliosis through video game physiotherapy.
- We aimed to investigate the influence of this tool on motivation to perform regularly and, correctly, and with self-assessment of performance quality.
- the actual training time to assess motivation, the ratio of the actual playing time versus total playing time to assess exercise improvement.
- Distracting the mind with the game during the exercise session could also hasten progress to the autonomic phase of motor learning.
“The Physiogame software was specifically designed for use with these two standardized exercises. It uses the hardware of the Game-Trak 3D interactive game controller (In2Games Ltd, Rickmansworth, UK), a 3-dimensional game control system based on position tracking.”
The Monifieth High pupil is behind the campaign #keepitcrossed — a social media trend she hopes people will use to show and tell those they know going through difficult times that they support them. Aayila said the inspiration for the idea came from the best wishes her mum’s friends have given Kaela and the family in the run-up to the youngster’s surgery.
Yale University’s Center for Engineering Innovation & Design (CEID) is a hub of creativity. Housing 3D printers, power tools, and wet labs, it is a dream come true for any engineering student. The CEID was designed as a collaborative engineering environment, where students could create novel devices with real-world impacts. The embodiment of this “research to practice” principle is the CEID’s Summer Design Fellowship, an award given to students who wish to combat an existing problem in the world of engineering.
- Even though it’s only four years old, the Center for Engineering Innovation and Design (CEID) already has an impressive résumé of nurturing startups.
- Each of these projects is in a different stage of development, from early testing to a fully-blown company backed by grants and investments, but each started within the CEID’s window-lined walls at 15 Prospect St.
- Whether a student’s project starts in a class, a childhood memory, or a random curiosity, the CEID has no bounds.
“Whether a student’s project starts in a class, a childhood memory, or a random curiosity, the CEID “has no bounds,” he said.”